Acciaroli and Cilento

Acciaroli rises on the Tyrrhenian Coast (Cilento Coast) and it is the biggest hamlet of the township of Pollica, in province of Salerno, and town harbour.

Acciaroli preserves a XII century church dedicated to the SS. Annunziata, a Franciscan friary built in 1565 and a Norman sighting tower.

During his travels throughout Italy in 1952 Ernest Hemingway, winner of the Nobel Prize, stayed here.

For its clean waters and beaches, Acciaroli has received the Five Sails prize from Legambiente and the Blue Flag for years. Thanks to these awards, the resort has got a decent fame and increased the summer tourism. Acciaroli is also part of the National Park of Cilento and Vallo di Diano.

By tradition, the name Cilento comes from “cis alentum”, which means “beyond Alento”. The Romans used this expression to indicate the region between the Rivers Solofrone and Alento. In ancient times Cilento was colonized by the Lucanians and, in some areas of the coastline, by the Greeks. The archaeological sites of Velia and Paestum attest the Greek presence.

Cilento is today a protected area of the National Park of Cilento and Vallo di Diano and preserved under UNESCO status as World Heritage.

The National Park of Cilento and Vallo di Diano, the second biggest park in Italy, stretches from the Tyrrhenian Coast to the foot of the Lucanian and Campanian Apennines and presents a heterogeneous naturalist scenary.

Mainly dominated by the Mediterranean maquis, the area of the Park of Cilento alternates long stretches of coast pinewoods with large wooded areas towards the hinterland. The seashore is, on the contrary, characterized by inlets, little sandy beaches, many pebbles and promontories dominated by ancient towers. The sea is wonderful, as well as all the coast resorts such as the villages of Acciaroli, Palinuro, Marina di Camerota.

Cilento is also culture. In addition to the already mentioned sites of Paestum and Velia, it is not possible to forget the famous Charterhouse of S. Lorenzo in Padula, an authentic “art gallery” which includes the Church with its Renaissance portal, the Chapel of Capitolo, the Chapel of Treasury, the precious Library, the elliptical staircase and the attractive monastery garden.